Making Plant People
A fun and simple project for kids of all ages: Making plant people from old pantyhose, a little bit of soil, and some grass seed.
- Old panty hose, any color
- Grass seed
- Soilless potting mix
- Shallow dish
- Craft supplies (e.g., pompoms, felt, chenille craft sticks, wiggle eyes)
- Craft glue
- Cut a 6- to 8-inch-long piece of panty hose. If your piece does not include a toe, then knot one end of the hose and turn it inside out. It will end up looking like a little bag.
- Scoop 2 to 3 teaspoons of grass seed into the closed "bag." Fill the rest of the hose with potting mix and tie the hose closed. Use your hands to gently manipulate the ball into a head shape.
- Place the head in a shallow dish with the grass seed end facing up. Use craft pieces such as wiggle eyes, buttons, pompom balls, felt, and chenille sticks to make eyes, nose, mouth, and arms. Attach with craft glue.
- After glue has dried, carefully water your new plant person until the soil is thoroughly moist and place in a warm location. Check daily to make sure soil stays moist. If it dries out quickly you can keep a reservoir of water in your dish. Within 3 to 5 days your plant person will begin to grow hair!
Once the hair is established you can give him/her a hair cut, or just let it grow and see how long it will get. If you have time and supplies, make a whole family of plant people!
Back to Activities
When You Garden, You Grow!
Every April communities, organizations, and individuals nationwide celebrate gardening during National Garden Month. Gardeners know, and research confirms, that nurturing plants is good for us: attitudes toward health and nutrition improve, kids perform better at school, and community spirit grows. Join the celebration and help to make America a greener, healthier, more livable place!
About National Garden Month
In this stressful and crazy world, taking time out to literally smell the flowers is the best thing we can do to reconnect with the Earth, with nature, with ourselves. Stop. Look around. Put your hands in the soil, get dirt under your nails. Let your bare feet feel the green grass of spring. Let the sun kiss your skin. Breathe in the peace and joy of living. Create Eden in your own yard."-- Onalee Israel, Onalee's Seeds, LLC
» View more quotes