NGM Header Image (always present) 833 x 150
Weekly Teaser Image (always present) 833 x 50
Art by Mary Anne Lloyd
Grow Your Own Hideout
Courtesy of the National Wildlife Federation
Here's a magical playhouse for you and a friend! Wildlife will love it too. You'll need:
- A flat, sunny, weed-free piece of ground
- Sunflower seeds (one of the tall kinds, such as Mammoth)
- A hoe and some water
Back to Activities
- Use the hoe to scrape an outline of your sunflower house in the soil.
- Dig beneath the outline about 1 inch.
- Drop seeds into the outline about 10 inches apart.
- Cover the seeds with an inch of soil, press down lightly and water gently.
- Water the seeds every day.
- Have fun in your playhouse! It may take about 2 to 3 months for the plants to form a hideout. While youre having fun, birds will love to eat the seeds!