Art by Mary Anne Lloyd
Grow Your Own Hideout
Courtesy of the National Wildlife Federation
Here's a magical playhouse for you and a friend! Wildlife will love it too. You'll need:
- A flat, sunny, weed-free piece of ground
- Sunflower seeds (one of the tall kinds, such as Mammoth)
- A hoe and some water
Back to Activities
- Use the hoe to scrape an outline of your sunflower house in the soil.
- Dig beneath the outline about 1 inch.
- Drop seeds into the outline about 10 inches apart.
- Cover the seeds with an inch of soil, press down lightly and water gently.
- Water the seeds every day.
- Have fun in your playhouse! It may take about 2 to 3 months for the plants to form a hideout. While you’re having fun, birds will love to eat the seeds!
When You Garden, You Grow!
Every April communities, organizations, and individuals nationwide celebrate gardening during National Garden Month. Gardeners know, and research confirms, that nurturing plants is good for us: attitudes toward health and nutrition improve, kids perform better at school, and community spirit grows. Join the celebration and help to make America a greener, healthier, more livable place!
About National Garden Month
Working for the Kansas State Extension Service has given me an opportunity to interact with many gardeners. Gardeners have this optimistic, nurturing outlook on life. They have their own unique ways of enjoying their passion. The joy of gardening is just not in the success of growing plants but growing people. I have learned this firsthand working with our dedicated Johnson County Extension Master Gardeners. This dedicated group gives so much back to the community. For me the joy of gardening is more than plants. It's really about celebrating the people who garden."-- Dennis Patton, Horticulture Agent, Johnson County Kansas State Research and Extension
» View more quotes