NGM Header Image (always present) 833 x 150
Weekly Teaser Image (always present) 833 x 50
101 Ways to Celebrate
National Garden Month
New Techniques and Timely To-Do's
- Encourage beneficial insects by planting herbs and flowers
throughout your gardens. For more on beneficial insects click
- Propagate your favorite shrubs, perennials, and trees to put
elsewhere on your property or to donate to a greening organization.
To learn about propagating perennials through division, click
- Incorporate as many native plants as possible
into your landscape. For more information, visit the National
Backyard Habitat site.
- Get to know your lawn as a garden
of grass. Discover what kind of turfgrass you have and what kind
of care it needs for best
results. Youll find lawn care guidance here.
- Research least-toxic pest and weed control methods. Click
here for tips on vegetable garden pest control.
about the benefits of compost tea, and brew your own. Click
here to find out more.
- Create a pruning calendar/map
for your yard.
- Start a worm composting bin, indoors or
out. To learn more about worm composting, click
- Test your soil so that you can add just what your
plants need to thrive. Click
here to learn more about soil testing.
- Learn to use
fertilizer properly to protect the water supply from nutrient pollution.
For basic information and tips on building
soil fertility, click
- Start a compost pile. To learn how, click
- Learn about organic gardening, and give it a try. Click
here to learn more about it.
- Learn about water saving
techniques and tools. For watering tips, click
- Clean your gardening tools; oil wooden handles,
tighten heads, and sharpen blades. Click
here for step-by-step instructions for sharpening and
cleaning your garden tools.
- Cut back on lawn mowing by incorporating
groundcovers, expanded perennial beds, even moss, to your lawn.
For instructions on planting
- Vow to minimize pesticide use to protect wildlife,
the water supply, and human health. A low-maintenance landscape
here to learn more about creating one.